Fresh Kills Landfill
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Fresh Kills Landfill was a landfill covering 2,200 acres (890 ha) in the New York City borough of Staten Island in the United States. The name comes from the landfill’s location along the banks of the Fresh Kills estuary in western Staten Island. The landfill was opened in 1947 as a temporary landfill, but eventually became New York City’s principal landfill, in the second half of the 20th century, and it was once the largest landfill, as well as human-made structure, in the world.
In October 2009, reclamation of the site began on a multi-phase, 30-year site development for reuse as Freshkills Park.